Financial experts expect the worldwide market for CBD topicals and cosmetics to reach over $1.7 billion by 2025. The immense popularity of CBD-infused skincare products is based on a whole lot more than hype. Researchers are constantly finding more benefits of CBD topicals, and the anecdotal evidence is off the charts.
Let’s have a glance at the many ways this amazing compound can help consumers maintain healthy, radiant skin.
Cannabidiol, the scientific name for CBD, is among over a hundred active compounds in cannabis and industrial hemp plants. These compounds, collectively known as cannabinoids, can stimulate receptors in the human body’s endocannabinoid system (ECS). The ECS, a biological system that evolved over 600 million years ago, helps to keep the human body in balance. Maintaining balance, also known as homeostasis, is vital to our survival, and the ECS helps us maintain balance in a remarkable number of ways, such as:
- Regulating our inflammation and immune responses
- Supporting the reproductive system
- Regularizing our sleep cycles
- Balancing metabolic functions
- Helping us maintain our body temperature
The ECS is essentially a network of receptors designed to receive compounds called endocannabinoids. These endocannabinoids act like a key that fits perfectly into the ECS receptors. Plant-derived cannabinoids, called phytocannabinoids, have similar molecular structures and can stimulate ECS receptors as well.
Now that you’re getting a better picture of what CBD is and how it works, let’s move on to the many ways that CBD can be a useful addition to your daily skincare routine.
How CBD Interacts with the Skin
The human body contains two main types of endocannabinoid receptors. The first type of receptor, CB-1, is found mainly in the central nervous system and the brain. The second type, CB-2, is abundant in the organs of the immune system.
Our skin has a high concentration of both types of receptors, which is why CBD topicals are particularly effective.
CBD interacts with both types of receptors to produce a number of benefits to the skin. CBD can influence the behavior of endocannabinoid receptors in nerve endings, immune cells, sebaceous glands, and hair follicles. It will be interesting to understand the extent of CBD’s benefits once scientists complete more research. For now, let’s examine what we already know about CBD’s benefits for the skin.
Main Benefits of CBD for Skincare
Research has concluded that CBD may have many beneficial effects on the skin.
CBD Eases Inflammation
Numerous studies have shown CBD’s potent anti-inflammatory effects. A study published in the Journal of Controlled Release concluded that transdermal CBD applications, such as CBD creams, demonstrate usefulness as local anti-inflammatory agents. Another study examined a group of participants struggling with inflammatory skin disorders. At the end of three months of topical CBD application, each participant showed a marked improvement of symptoms.
CBD’s ability to reduce inflammation could also potentially help ease joint and muscle aches and diminish redness in the skin.
CBD Combats Free Radicals
Scientists have concluded that cannabidiol has potent antioxidant qualities and can help the body scavenge harmful free radicals and reduce oxidative stress. Some studies have suggested that CBD has even more antioxidant power than Vitamin C.
CBD’s formidable antioxidant properties have far-reaching implications for the use of topical CBD applications for healthy and radiant skin.
CBD Can Help Reduce the Signs of Aging
CBD’s ability to combat free radicals is great news for people who want to reduce the signs of aging. Furthermore, the omega fatty acids in full-spectrum and broad-spectrum CBD topicals help prevent water loss and stimulate collagen production. CBD creams and topicals may be helpful in reducing the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and crepey skin.
CBD Helps Regulate the Production of Sebum
CBD may aid in the fight against skin blemishes by helping to regulate sebum production. According to an article published in the Journal of Clinical Investigation, CBD has been shown to calm inflamed sebocytes and help stabilize sebum production. Some studies even suggest that CBD could be an efficient and safe tool for managing the cutaneous inflammations associated with acne. You can imagine the implications for those of us who struggle with occasional breakouts.
CBD Helps to Keep the Skin Hydrated
CBD not only helps to regulate overactive sebaceous glands, but the compounds act adaptively to encourage underactive glands to produce more hydrating oils. As we get older, our sebaceous glands start to produce less oil, which may lead to dry, flaky skin or the enhanced appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. CBD’s ability to hydrate the skin and reduce inflammation may also help for itchy skin.
CBD and the Entourage Effect
Hemp plants contain many beneficial compounds besides cannabinoids, such as:
- Protein: All twenty essential amino acids can be found in hemp plants.
- B-Complex Vitamins: Hemp plants contain vitamin B6, B12, niacin, riboflavin, and thiamine.
- Iron: Our bodies need iron to transport oxygen and maintain hemoglobin levels.
- Omega Fatty Acids: Both omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids are abundant in hemp plants.
- Flavonoids: Hemp flowers are rich in flavonoids, which have antioxidative, anti-inflammatory, and anti-carcinogenic properties.
- Terpenes: Terpenes are aromatic compounds that give plants their characteristic flavors and aromas. Different terpenes may have a host of benefits for the body, and the compounds make up the basis of alternative healing modalities, such as aromatherapy.
All of these compounds work together with CBD and other cannabinoids to create a holistic synergy known as the “entourage effect.” Most experts agree that whole plant extracts like full-spectrum and broad-spectrum CBD products are much more effective than CBD isolates.
Are CBD Skincare Products Legal?
Hemp-derived CBD products, including CBD skincare creams, are federally legal in the United States. When Congress passed the 2018 Farm Bill, legislators stipulated that legal hemp products must contain less than .3% THC. However, U.S. states can set their own rules and may impose stricter laws. We suggest that you check with your state regulations before purchasing any CBD product. That said, hemp-derived CBD skincare creams are generally legal by most state laws, with the exception of Idaho.
How to Select the Best CBD Skincare Creams
CBD skincare creams can vary drastically with respect to quality. Unfortunately, a higher price doesn’t necessarily mean a better CBD cream. Some higher-tier boutique skincare manufacturers add only the tiniest amount of CBD to their existing products and raise the prices. On the flip side, cheaper brands may cut corners in the extraction process and allow contaminants like residual solvents to remain in their CBD topicals.
Consumers can avoid the hazards of choosing the wrong CBD skincare topicals by consulting the product’s Certificate of Analysis. A Certificate of Analysis, or COA, is an official document that an unbiased third-party lab issues after testing the product. A COA tells consumers a range of details that will inform them about the CBD cream’s quality, such as:
- The quantity of CBD in the product: Effective CBD topicals usually contain from 8-10 milligrams of CBD per milliliter of base lotion. Prince & Flower All-Purpose CBD Cream contains a full 500 milligrams of broad-spectrum CBD per 50-ml bottle.
- How much THC is in the cream: In order to be federally legal, CBD skincare creams must contain less than .3% THC. Broad-spectrum products, like Prince & Flower CBD Cream, are 100% THC-free.
- Any contaminants in the product: One of the most important tasks of third-party labs is to ensure that the products are safe and free from harmful ingredients, such as pesticides, herbicides, residual solvents, and heavy metals. Here at Prince & Flower, we proudly display our Certificates of Analysis on our website for your convenience.
If a company refuses to provide you with current lab results, we suggest that you don’t buy it.
Are you ready to experience the royal treatment in CBD skincare? Prince & Flower offers free shipping throughout the U.S.